Please share your top 10 helps with me!! 
FT Favourite

Post Re: Please share your top 10 helps with me!!
Is this it?

Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:16 pm
:wave Oh Just Fabulous, er, I mean Just Fibrolous - what a fantastic thread!! There are a number of things I'm going to try!

I hate to say it's not the thread I was thinking of - but then, maybe it is and I just remembered it wrong! :lol3 These days I rarely stick to my guns when it means relying on my memory!!

So, one of my helpful things is:

Using the "Notes" app on my I-phone.

I put anything I need to remember and it lets me create multiple lists, so I have a list of books & music I want, ongoing grocery and errand lists, etc., etc.

I'm going to check into
Quote:
Magnesium Malate tablets.
recommended by Junie. And my pups ate my heating pad because I left it on the floor - definitely reminded me I need to replace that NOW!!

And Learnfmnow's suggestion
Quote:
"I can make it, I can do it"
- oh how true!! Lately I've been more thinking very different thoughts.

And lots of other great ones! I'm so happy to have this thread now to refer back to.

I think JF you mentioned the Roomba. I've been seriously thinking I want one but wasn't sure - sounds like you seriously love yours! How nice to come home to clean floors!!

Great post. I think the one I think I remembered was more along the lines of helpful hints for keeping up with housework and such - but my memory is not as reliable as it once was.

Thank you for playing!!! I feel better already!! :myday *party* :luvft

Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:20 pm
:wave What an interesting question! My balance is not what it used to be and that's something I'm learning to be very careful about.

But from what I've read, I think you either turn it on manually or schedule it to run at certain times - so you would at least have that advantage although I can easily imagine myself forgetting that I had turned it on!

And I believe they do move about randomly, bouncing off walls and other objects.

I also read that they can get hung up on electrical cords and if you have that inset space under your kitchen counters, at least some models can go in just far enough to become trapped - made me think of a turtle on its back - but not so sad.

The two big hold-ups on it for me are (1) it's expensive - maybe around $300 and (2) it sounds like it might take some good computer type skills to do the initial set up or at least follow some complicated instructions. Not my favorite thing these days. *zzz* I'd much prefer a nap! *zzz*
:dance

Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:08 pm
FT Favourite

Oh...I do love Roomba. It is awesome with a few notable limitations. I don't have time right now, but I will return later with some details. So suspenseful, I know.

JF

Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:48 pm
*coff* OMG!!! The suspense is killing meeee!!!!! :omg :sheep :bounce :dizzy *eyes* loll :lol3 lolll :peng

I hope she isn't gone toooooooo long! *oold*

Just kidding! loll :lol3

Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:01 pm
FT Favourite

OK, I'm back. :lol3

So Roomba:

The way I use it is I place it in the room I want to vacuum, turn it on and lock the door to contain it in there. For bigger areas, like the kitchen and living room that don't have doors, I actually have two roombas and run them simultaneously to get it done faster.

This way, I do not trip over it because it is not running all over the place, but rather in just one area. You can also use these tower things to tell it not to enter a certain area.

I, too, am not steady on my feet but I have never tripped over the roomba. It also makes a noise so you know when it is right under foot.

Noise:it is much quieter than a normal vacuum but you can hear it as it bumps into walls and such. I prefer not be in the same room with it because I am very sensitive to noise.

Pets: My dogs bark at it and hide from it. It can limit how I use it becuase I don't want anyone to get thier tails caught or anything.

Cost: it is expensive but there are different models. I bought the one that is manual only. In other words, you can't program it to vacuum when you are not home on a schedule. Instead, you have to turn it on and off as you use it. Unless the programming is really important to you, go for the simple one becuase it is like 200 dollars cheaper.

Programming: I have one that I got a a gift that can be programmed and I have never used the program stuff. I just do manual. The simple one that I bought can't be programmed and, as far as I can tell, it is the same thing minus the programming tool.

Cleaning: It cleans carpet and hard floors about the same as a standard vacuum. The floors really do get clean. Mine is the "pet hair" version and it does get all of the dog hair plus all of the crumbs from a four year old. It goes under funriture which is an advantage over a regular vacuum. However, it does not do edges perfectly. If you like to take your vaccum tools around edges and corners, the roomba doesn't do quite such a good job, but it's about what a normal vacuum would do without using the attachments. It vacuums in a random pattern, so if you are OCD and want straight lines in the carpet, it doesn't look perfect like that.

Obstacles: It won't let itself go downstairs. Mine has not done it yet. It does get caught up on things so you have to prepare your room before you use it. If you have cords on the floor, it is strong enough to pull a lamp off of a table, so you have to secure the cords out of reach. It always gets stuck on the tracks for exterior sliding doors but I have remedied that by putting a piece of wood in the track. It turns and finds its way through other obstacles pretty well (think multiple chair legs under a table). It has no trouble going from wood to an area rug. I don't have fringe on any of my rugs though. I'm not sure how it would handle fringe.

Maintenance: There is a little door that opens and the dirt can be dumped out. Ours is full of dog hair every time we use it so I clean it with each use. It is easy though. There is a filter in there that needs to be changed every now and then, but it lasts a pretty long time.

Charge: This is not great. It can be charged by plugging into the charger at the wall outlet or it can automatically go to its charger and dock itself when it is done. Sometimes it doesn't find it's dock by itself, so I just pick it up and move it to the outlet and plug it in. It doesn't stay charged as long as I would like. I have never timed it, but it will do a couple of large bedrooms before it starts getting sluggish. This is why I have two so I can always have one that is charged.

Time: It takes longer to use roomba than a standard vacuum becuase it uses kind of a random pattern. You will notice spots that are missed. If you want every inch of the room clean, you will have to let it run a while.

Energy: Well this is a no brainer. It takes some energy to get it set up, but it's awesome to sit on the couch and watch it clean for you.

Overall: I use roomba in the whole house every Saturday. Every month or so, I will need to use a regular vacuum to use attachments in nooks and crannies. It has saved me SO much pain and energy in the long run. Vacuuming used to be so hard for me that I wouldn't do it. Now our house is so much cleaner. It's a pretty satisfying feeling.

Hope I didn't ramble too much. I just want to help. I was hesitant to buy because of cost and I didn't think it would work. It has been a real life saver for me though.

PS-Don't buy the mopping one (Scooba)
JF

Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:34 pm
:ty JF, thanks so much for the added info on the Roomba.

One of the reviews I read, the guy said he had to up-end all his dining room chairs onto the table and between that and worrying about the cords, I wasn't sure. But I think I could manage the cord thing easily enough and it sounds like yours does fine around the dining chairs. I'm sure the chair legs create areas like the nooks and crevices - so if it's a big deal, just pull the chairs out and encourage it to work in that area.

So is it heavy? You lift the whole thing to empty it?

My biggest headache would be messes my dogs make - I find all kinds of stuff they deposit on my floors - stuffing from dog toys, bits of shredded dog toys, sticks, rocks - you know the fun stuff they bring in thru the doggy door. :lol3

So can it pick up slightly bigger stuff - like BIG crumbs?

I would definitely go for the dog hair model & manual sounds perfect! I'd love to see how my dogs react! The big brother might be terrified and his baby brother would likely try to kill it!

Quote:
So, one of my helpful things is:

Using the "Notes" app on my I-phone.

I put anything I need to remember and it lets me create multiple lists, so I have a list of books & music I want, ongoing grocery and errand lists, etc., etc.

Now I just need to remember to: (1) take my phone with me and (2) charge its battery!

Another memory device I just started is for the most critical things I absolutely MUST get done soon. I put the equivalent of a post-it or sticky note front & center on my bathroom mirror - it kind of sticks out & waves in the breeze so I can't overlook it. That is a life saver right now as I've got some things I really don't want to deal with but need to get done in the next couple weeks.

Fibromom & JF, thanks for playing!!

Kudos to you!! :love :myday

Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:19 am
FT Favourite

Keridane,

I'm not sure about the actual weight of the Roomba. I would say it's about the same as an average bottle of liquid laundry detergent or a gallon of milk. It's not a struggle to lift or anything, but not light as a feather either.

I lift it frequently moving it from one room to another or plugging it in to its charger. The container for the dirt is removed to empty into the trash. You don't have to lift the whole thing to empty it. the tray for the dirt is like emptying a drinking glass. really easy, light weight and small.

Things it will pick up...I know what you mean about dog messes. It definitely picks up big clumps of fur so I am guessing it would get smaller pieces of stuffing (like less than golf ball sized). It would probably not get huge pieces thoug I have not tried that one. It has picked up crackers ( chez it sized), raisens, smaller dried leaves, small sticks. I have not tried gravel, but I think it might get that up okay. The suction is pretty strong, it just has a relatively small cup for dirt and such.

One story from one dog mommy to another. One of my dogs brought poop in from outside and left it on the rug. I. didn't know about it and Roomba went right over it. The Roomba picked up part of it, but the other part was under the wheel and Roomba tracked the poop all around until I saw it and stopped it. that was lots of fun to clean. My dogs are lucky they are so damn cute.

Anyway, I think the Roomba is awesome as long as you know what to expect. it's not perfect, but standard vacuums seem like the equivalent of water boarding to me right now.

Good luck.

JF

Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:07 pm
JF thank you so much for all the GREAT info! Wow, now I really must make room in my budget for a Roomba. I had no idea it would pick up some of the bigger things! And that it's strong enough to pull a lamp off a table... well... :lol3 :yahoo :lol3 That's the labor saving device for me!! If it can do that, you know it's going to pick up the stuff you want picked up!

Oh, and my younger pup occasionally brings in little poo presents for me. This winter he brought in a frozen one nestled in a cluster of leaves, twigs and ice - and placed it in the center of my bed. :hart :hart :hart :dog :hart :hart :hair Was that your video on You Tube? :lol3 :cry

Quote:
Things it will pick up...I know what you mean about dog messes. It definitely picks up big clumps of fur so I am guessing it would get smaller pieces of stuffing (like less than golf ball sized). It would probably not get huge pieces thoug I have not tried that one. It has picked up crackers ( chez it sized), raisens, smaller dried leaves, small sticks. I have not tried gravel, but I think it might get that up okay. The suction is pretty strong, it just has a relatively small cup for dirt and such.

That exceeds my hopes! :yahoo I'm sure it would be a lifesaver for me. :yahoo One of the most difficult things about this DD for me is that in order to have the energy to keep my job and make sure my dogs have a good quality of life, the house work suffers. And that's particularly sad to me because I have always loved having a clean home and I actually enjoyed doing the work. For me, when my home is clean, it just gives me such peace and happiness.

In fact, when I contemplate whether or not it is time to file for disability (which I desperately hope I won't have to do), I think how nice it would be to have time to take better care of my house!

Roomba just moved much closer to the top of my spending priority list! :yahoo :ty

Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:57 am
FT Favourite

A clean house is heavenly. Some people are not so sensitive, but I get really stressed when my house is dirty and cluttered. I spend so much time trying to make my surroundings peaceful like you say, but it is really hard to keep up when you feel like poop.

Speaking of poop...yup. One of the funniest moments ever was when my dog put poop on my husband's pillow and he laid on it. he was so mad and I just could not stop laughing. I remember the room was so quiet while he was trying to go back to sleep and I kept bursting out in laughter. It still makes me laugh and that was years ago.

I think the cold weather makes the poop more appealing to dogs for some reason. We call it "Poopsicles". Oh the poor creatures. they don't know any better. Thank goodness for the little angels though. Something to smile about.

JF

Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:22 pm
loll :lol3 :crazy :lol3 :lol3 :lol3
Yet somehow, they are "man's best friend."

Hmmmm, men don't mind the poop in their beds? Is it a "man thing?"

So, I went out in the yard the other day, it was snowing lightly and the pups were so happy that I had come out to play with them - but that's when I saw the "blue thing" in the snow. :omg OMG!!! it was my pajama pants!!

My youngest takes everything he can get his teeth on straight outside!

I saw him making a dash from the bedroom, past me on the living room couch and heading straight for the doggie door. He had something big he was dragging. I thought "Is that my throw?" I yelled at him - which usually just makes him run faster - but luckily he dropped what he had. When I caught up with him, well, of course! It was one of my heavy sweaters and a pair of slacks! He loves to "air my dirty laundry." :lol3 :lol3 :lol3 Little :censor :bang :lol3 loll :dizzy

Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:23 pm
FT Favourite

Such rotten creatures...just vile. Love them anyways.

Smart pill...ha. I'm happy to say my girls don't have access to the smart pills. Goose poop maybe, but no rabbit poop.

JF

Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:29 pm
:wave I have a video of Piper airing my dirty laundry - maybe 48 seconds long - but I don't think we can upload them to this site.

Anyone?

But I did want to say, I woke this morning to find I had no heat! Yikes! I think it was supposed to get down to like 5 degrees overnight. Fortunately I woke to find myself at the bottom of a dog pile (pile of dogs, just to clarify! Not the other kind! Ew-w-w!!!)

So the house was a disaster and I didn't want the furnace guy to come in and see it like that, so I dashed about & cleaned it up as much as possible - probably over did it, but the house is nearly up to where I would like it! Hope I'm not going to pay for over doing!

But it convinced me I MUST have a roomba. Having a doggy door, the dogs track in plenty of dried leaves and dirt, etc. and how wonderful it would be to just flip a switch & watch a roomba clean up! :yahoo
Take care all!! :yahoo :hart :hart :hart

Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:19 pm