Are FMS and CFS/ME the same disease? 

Are FMS and CFS/ME the Same Disease?
The research I've done seems to say "yes" (see my links to some documentation) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
The research I've done seems to say "no" (see my links to some documentation) 83%  83%  [ 5 ]
I have zero clue and neither does my medical team 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 6

Are FMS and CFS/ME the same disease? 

Post Re: Are FMS and CFS/ME the same disease?
No, there are slight differences and the order of severity matters

Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:51 pm

It came from a doctor that specializes in it. Sorry but I have no link

Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:44 pm
FT Favourite

Well, let me give my input and partial opinion from experience. Based on my own disease as well as everything I have read from other patients over the years.....FMS and fibromyalgia go hand in hand for the vast majority. One of my very chief complaints is chronic exhaustion which is never fixed. Fatigue is also listed as a symptom of fibromyalgia. So I believe if you have fibro then 99.9% chance is you also have CFS. Pain is a major symptom of mine but I will say the fatigue is the major issue for me. Not to say the pain does not reach horeendous levels for me. It does. But it is not as constant for me as the complete exhaustion.

Another interesting tie here is that fibromyalgia includes a sleep disorder with the package. They say we lack or have very little stage four sleep. So I am not sure if the fibro causes the fatigue or if fatigue is a cause of fibro.

I am not sure about ME. However I was under the impression that ME is another term used for fibro and seems more of a common term in countries such as England. I have read about both and they seem to be interchangeable terms depending on where you are from. I could be wrong about that.

Debra

Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:10 pm
FT First Lady

Yeah, I've never heard a respected MD who actually treats the illnesses who thinks they are the same. None of my docs have thought they were the same although many people have both. I see a big difference in patients with CFS and fibro too. They are similar and many people are misdiagnosed for sure. Many people have both, of course. I'm sure in the future they will have better testing and sub grouping and such too. I've met alot of people with fibro who think they have CFS due to being tired, but don't have the hallmarks of the illness. Kinda doesn't matter too much.

Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:32 am

Years ago I filled out a check list I found online. 1 side was fibro and the other side was CFID (ME). About 1/2 the symptoms were the same.

Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:40 pm
FT First Lady

Yes, fibromom, you are so right about the exercise thing! I think I meant it differently about it not mattering. But, very important point you brought up, thank you.

I do think CFS is a very clear and specific diagnoses though. It's a clear diagnoses with docs who know what they are doing and by patients who do their homework. I've met some people who were misdiagnosed, but most peeps I know, really have the classic disease that is so different from any other illness and so disabling. There are a few sub, oh, I forgot the word, shoot, forgive me, sub classes? hehe...I forget the word, oh, subsets! That's it! And it seams to be different in men than women but that's not surprising as that happens with illnesses and in life.

I always joke that they will find some simple treatment and it will be something like treating diabetes, some little shot you do each day that will enable people to live mostly normal lives. And they will find this out like the day before I die as an old lady. :lol3 Good thing I'm not waiting around for a cure.

My doc told me that when studying the brain they found that again, I forget the word...the "damage" seen in the fibro brain was something like a mm off from where they saw the "damage" in the Gulf War brains. Wish I could remember more of what he said but we used to have such interesting conversations about so many things, and I would get tired but so thrilled after chatting with him. Ok ta for now! :wave good coversation. :hug

Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:59 am
Fibromite

From the research I have done Fibromyalgia has a multitude of symptoms and CFS, depression and chronic pain are all problems that stem from the Fibro but not the actual disease itself. That is one of the reasons you have different medicines for all the symptoms. I would love if they could finds a cure.

I am still trying to work, I am lucky if I make it to work 2 or 3 days a week. My company have been great so far.

Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:34 pm
Fibromite

hello Rosebud. I am Roselil. Can you please tell me what medicines to have tried for both Fibro and M.E., for I have had both for most of my life, and have never found anything to help, only made things worse, or which I have been allergic to. Right now, I feel as if my whole body is displaced, and I have severe pain everywhere, and also the muscle pain from M.E. is like having Chinese burns everywhere, particularly arms.

Have to get back to bed now, just so exhausted always.

sincerely, Roselil

Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:45 pm