Anti-Depressants May Be Doing More Harm Than Good 
FT First Lady

Post Re: Anti-Depressants May Be Doing More Harm Than Good
There's been enormous backlash against anti depressants these days, but you know what? Everyone who I have known who has taken them for depression are waaaaaaaay better on them. Their lives and sence of well being are enormously changed for the good and they are waaaaaay better people on them.

I think there is alot of hysteria about drugs especially coming form groups that have no medical training or experience treating depression.

Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:10 am
FT Favourite

:exactly

I don't know what I would do without my antidepressants. I've been suicidal and know for a fact that my quality of life would be greatly diminished without them. I think that it needs to be weighed by each patient with their doctor to see if the side effects are less of an issue than the positive effects of the drug.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
Say, has anyone seen my marbles???

And fun was had by all!!!

Tue May 01, 2012 4:56 am
FT First Lady

Yes, I have known many people who swear that anti depressants saved their lives. I think that the real studies show that they aren't that effective for people who aren't really that depressed. People who just feel a little down who take them don't benefit from them any more than exercise. But, from my understanding, people who have depression benefit enormously. It's a shame there is such backlash against modern medicine. Less than 100 years ago, life expectancy was only around 45 years old and most people lost at least one if not many of their children before adulthood. Science and modern medicine rock baby! :thumbsup

Tue May 01, 2012 11:42 pm
FT 500 Club

I wouldn't have survived the last couple of years if it wasn't for modern medicine. I probably wouldn't have survived my childhood, let alone make it into adulthood. I give :thumbsup :thumbsup to modern medicine!

Wed May 02, 2012 12:31 am
FibroTalk Fan

I"m glad you all have found assistance with anti-depressants. I am convinced when they are used and monitored under the right circumstances they ARE lifesavers. No doubt about it. They serve an important purpose.

The thing I have a problem with, in my area anyway, is that every condition that makes a doctor nervous or they don't know much about, their first line of defense is "you're depressed. let's try and anti-depressant". And they dole out the meds like candy. Don't like that one, let's try this one, etc., etc.,. These are not meds to mess around with. They change your brain chemistry. On purpose. That's what they do. They are supposed to.

For the right reasons, they are priceless. For the wrong reasons, they are dangerous. Especially when the docs tell you no side effects. I'm living proof of the exact opposite. Every single one I have ever tried. They don't work for me. They don't work for my pain. Period.

Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:55 pm
FT Hall of Famer

Hi :) After suffering with fibro and agrophobia for 30yrs and trying
most meds i would like to say i have never come across any meds that had no side effects :(

I wish i had then i would not find myself in the position of now dealing with the full blown symptoms of fibro whilst not taking any fibro meds. As i can not tolarate them :shrug

I would say if you can try the meds on offer do :thumbsup While they may not cure your fibro they do help many. From what i hear from others this may also help with the depression that can be caused from having Fibroyalgia.

While i cant and dont take meds myself i would never put people of from trying them for themselves. As we know we are all different and how we react to medication is also different from person to person.

So while one person finds one thing dont work for them dont think it wont work for you. as they say in the UK test and try before you buy ;)

love mo *rows*

NO EXERCISE FOR SEVEN DAYS MAKES ONE WEAK
http://pixamo.simplesite.com Welcome to my personal Blog Mo

Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:05 pm
FT First Lady

Yep, I think anti depressants are life savers and life changers for most people who try them.

It's super common for people with CFS and fibro to be ultra sensitive to meds. I couldn't tolerate the SSRI kinds or the fibro drug Savella which has an SSRI componant.

But, trazadone helps me get some sleep, yeah! It's some type of old anti depressent that they mostly use to help people get sleep. That's sort of a life saver for me as I can only sleep about an hour without it.

I don't really have side effects from it either and I don't really have side effects from tramadol and imitrex. I can be very sensitive to some meds and others, thank goodness, I've done alright on. I guess the tramadol probably makes me more tired the next day, but it's worth it.

And you guys are so right, we are all so different, we have different genetics, we have been exposed to different pathogens, and different things help different people.

Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:20 pm
FT Phenom

My life has been saved by psych drugs. Suicidal thoughts are diminished by my meds and life is tremendously better. I am a sicko basket case without meds. I only got fully diagnosed in my forties. I have lived much nicer life on my meds. I truly believe I would have killed myself with out them.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:15 am
FT First Lady

I'm so glad you've found help with meds Gray lady. :console

Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:31 am
FibroTalk Fan

The other element that truly scares me about the newer drugs on the market is the FDA approval process. Not that long ago, there was a 7-year, rigorous and stringent approval process for any new drug to be FDA approved and sold. Not so anymore. Now we see new drugs on the market after only a year or so.

Now, I'm not a doctor, but common sense tells me that this is not NEARLY enough time to document any serious side effects of any medicine for human consumption. They are in such a hurry anymore. It sometimes feels as though we humans are now the guinea pigs and I don't dig that too much.

Take Cymbalta, for example. And some of the hypertension/cholesterol drugs that were marketed some years ago. Such a rush to get them out there only to find they were making people really, really sick. They didn't give it enough time. Unfortunately we live in time where healthcare has turned into Big Business and it's all about the mighty dollar now.

I know, myself, I have had good results with anti-depressants more than once through my lifetime and I'm glad I had them. They truly helped me. And I do go through bouts of depression from time to time. I'm pre-disposed to it. This I know. At 45 I have finally grown into my own body and mind and am comfortable with both.

I just want a doc who values that as much as I do. Unfortunately, there is such a HUGE problem with prescription pain killer epidemic in this country, and in the NE especially, that most docs around here are very, very, hesitant to prescribe anything for pain. I understand their position. It's their license and their livelihood on the line. But at some point, ya gotta listen to your patient. Not everyone is a drug addict.

There are signs and things to be wary of to identify drug-seeking behavior but I don't think many of them have the training to see it or know what to look for.

I know that I have benefitted in the past from pain relievers for breakthrough pain. Doesn't make me an addict. Nor drug seeking.

The raw fact is that I have and WILL have these conditions for the rest of my life. I've already lived more than half my life this way. Constant pain makes a person agitated and irritable. Just getting through the day is hard enough.

I guess I can always hope for better education and change. This is one of the reasons why I really loved Dr. Edelberg's book, Healing Fibromyalgia". This man "Gets It", too. If you all have a chance, read it. I highly recommend it.

Ok. I'm done spewing my venom. Thanks for listening. It helped.

*thanks*

Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:49 am
FT First Lady

Have you tried tramadol or I think it's generic is Ativan or maybe it's the other way around?

It's not a pain killer that addicts seek and it's very mellow but effective for fibro pain. I don't have side effects from it and only take it as needed.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:59 am
FibroTalk Fan

I have tried it and I do have a standing script for it. The generic for Tramadol is Ultram, and it helps somewhat when the pain is not really, really bad. The only downside is that if i take more than one 50 mg pill, it makes me really nauseated. Like I said, hypersensitivity to meds is a huge issue. I live on Tums. I eat them like another food group, along with a daily dose of Omeprazole (OTC Nexium).

I just happen to be smack in the middle of a particularly nasty flare. I know it won't last forever, it just feels like it will. It always does. And then just like that, I will feel better.

Part of the problem is that it's Winter. And I always suffer lots more in the Winter than any other season. And I have been hit especially hard this past Fall/Winter with one upper respiratory infection on top of another. Culminating in January with a really, really bad case of the flu. It took me out. Literally. I ran a fever of over 104 for six to seven straight days and nights and I don't remember anything. My body temp normally runs about 95/96 so ten degrees was enough to make me delerious (sp???). I have been recovering from that since then. It wiped out any immunity I had and it's gonna be awhile until I feel really better.

My job is high energy/high stress. I literally have to run the moment I hit the floor till I leave, and multi-tasking is mandatory. I am a supervisor/mgr of a high dollar department in a high profile retailer and the job is demanding. I love the work, and when feeling good, I thrive on it. Stress CAN be a good thing, in small doses. And when I get back to my normal exercise routine, I will feel better. Those ten min every morning releasing endorphines and epinepherine in my brain ARE my antidepressants. It works for me. Just haven't been able to get back to that level of functioning yet because I'm afraid I will overdo it. After the bout of flu, I am very hesitant because I am so busy at work. But it's hard. And I'm suffering. I just won't let it show. Stubborn, pigheaded. I just refuse to give in.

This too shall pass. I just don't know when... :shrug

Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:21 am

MHO It's not the meds that are the problem but the drs giving them. Many just there to quickly without taking the time to listen. It has become a quick fix and in to many cases, used to turn perfectly healthy ppl into victims.

That said, under the care of a good dr, they can be a life saver

Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:16 pm