Disability tax - CPP (Canada) 
Site Admin

Post Disability tax - CPP (Canada)
Quote:
Does anyone out there know that you are entitled to a Disability tax?

I was not aware of this until I visited my MP office for help with the CPP tribunal review board.

I applied and got it from the time I went off sick.

When you apply put the date you took ill.

You will have to get your Dr. or someone to fill in a report as well.

Good luck and go for this as it mean another 1,000.00 or so..... llearning

I am not sure if this is true, but it is interesting.

I was wondering about this I plan to ask my MP, and look into it.

I will up date you as I get info.

Any ideas?

Respectfully Gauchi

Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:05 pm
Site Admin

Post The Canada Pension Plan Disability Benefit-Tax Credits
The Canada Pension Plan Disability Benefit

Tax Credits

a. Medical Expense Tax Credit

The medical expense tax credit helps offset the cost of a designated list of health-related goods and services, and disability supports. These include payments to medical practitioners, nurses and hospital services, attendant care and registered nursing services, including home care. Total medical expenses must be more than $1,637 or three percent of net income, whichever is less. There is no limit on the amount of disability expenses that may be claimed, though the value of the federal credit is only 16 percent of the amount claimed (roughly 24 percent once provincial income tax savings are included).

The credit may be claimed in respect of the medical expenses of an individual, spouse or dependants. Its provisions apply to all Canadians and not just to persons with disabilities.

The 1997 federal Budget enhanced the medical expense tax credit. Prior to that time, the credit was nonrefundable. This means that the credit reduced income taxes owing but did not benefit Canadians with incomes below the taxpaying threshold. The medical expense credit was therefore of little or no assistance to very poor households. Now there is a refundable component to the medical expense tax credit. The maximum refundable portion of the credit is the lesser of $507 and 25 percent of eligible medical expenses. Taxfilers must earn at least $2,598 to qualify for this refundable portion.

b. Disability Tax Credit

The disability tax credit provides modest tax relief for the additional - but often hidden and indirect - costs of disability. In contrast to the medical expense tax credit, there is no designated list of allowable expenses. The hidden costs of disability include, for example, higher utility costs for heat or air conditioning, additional transportation costs, higher prices for goods because of fewer shopping choices and reduced capacity to earn income.

Unlike the medical expense tax credit, the disability credit has a limit. The basic amount of the disability tax credit was increased from $4,233 to $6,000 in 2001 (worth $960 in federal tax savings and $480 in average provincial tax savings for a total $1,440). An additional amount of $3,500 may be claimed for a child under age 18 who qualifies for the disability amount (worth $560 in federal tax savings and $280 in average provincial tax savings for a total $840).

To qualify for the disability tax credit, claimants must have a severe and prolonged disability that markedly restricts their ability to perform one or more activities of daily living all or almost all of the time. "Prolonged" means that the impairment has lasted or may be expected to last for a continuous period of at least 12 months. "Severe" and "markedly restricted" mean that all or almost all of the time the person is unable, or requires an inordinate amount of time, to perform a basic activity of daily living even with therapy or appropriate devices and medication.

The specific diagnosis or condition is irrelevant. What is important is the impact of that condition upon the person's ability to carry out one or more basic activities. These include feeding and dressing; eliminating (bladder or bowel functions); walking; perceiving, thinking and remembering; hearing; and speaking so as to be understood in a quiet setting by another person familiar with the individual.

source:http://www.ocrt.gc.ca/pubs/caledon/dis_e.html

Respectfully Gauchi

Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:20 pm
FT 500 Club

Post Disability Tax Credit: I got it!
I have recently been allowed the disability tax credit! I applied with our personal taxes in April and just recently was sent a notice saying I was accepted.

This is the area's of the form that my doctor filled in: (my rheumy had never filled this form out before for FM so she was quite willing to have me tell her how my cousin's form had been filled in by her doctor!)

Walking - take an inordinate amount of time - can walk 100 meters but have to go slowly due to shortness of breath and pain
-So your doctor would mark yes to markedly restricted.
Dressing - take a longer time due to pain stiffness etc.
- yes in markedly decreased
Cognitive - takes a long time to work out things - memory impaired. so again impaired.

Because my doctor wrote that I have had this condition for more than 10 years it said in the same letter that I can request that they consider going backwards as much as 10 years! I have written a letter requesting this of course! and also requesting that the tax credit be applied to my husband's income as I have had little to no income the last few years. I will keep you advised as to how this turns out for me! Every little bit of help counts so I hope they allow me to go back in tax years!

gentle hugs Marion :grin:

Hugs Marion :hug

Back off from the Chocolate and nobody gets hurt!

Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:57 pm
Site Admin

Also see this post if you live in Ontario, Canada.

:1

Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight

Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:06 pm
Site Admin

Post disability tax credit form
This was passed on by the Brampton Support group - Thank you for doing the research!

We have found the website to download the disability tax credit form as well as the website for Doctors.

Tax forms for persons with disabilities are accessible from the "Forms and Publications" section of the Canada Revenue Agency Web site at the following
URLs:

T2201 - Disability Tax Credit Certificate http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/tf/t2201/README.html

Individuals - People with disabilities http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/formspubs/clie ... led-e.html

Please contact the Canada Revenue Agency for additional information. Contact information for the Agency is accessible from the "Contact Us" section of the above-mentioned Web site at the following URL:

Ordering Forms and Publications http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/formspubs/request-e.html

We hope this information is helpful to you.

Respectfully Gauchi

Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:01 am
Site Admin

Post From Diabetes Dialogue Fall 2005
From Diabetes Dialogue Fall 2005

" The Canadian Diabetes Association argued strongly that it is the insulin that is the life-sustaining therapy and encouraged the inclusion of medically necessary activities such as blood glucose testing and injection preparation as part of the 14-hour requirement"

So if you have Type 1 or 2 diabetes you may now meet one of the criteria for the Disability Tax credit. This is the criteria for "life sustaining therapy"

this may have more information:
CCRA site
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/

Canadian Diabetes
http://www.diabetes.ca/Section_Advocacy ... credit.asp

Respectfully Gauchi

Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:04 am
Site Admin

Post Re: Disability tax - CPP (Canada)
Rhijulbec

A must read

Respectfully Gauchi