Social Security Denied Today 
FT Phenom

Post Social Security Denied Today
Hello Fibro Friends, :wave

I received a letter today, my SSD claim was denied. I had a lawyer help me with my claim. The letter said they have determined even though I have Fibro and Chronic Myofascial Pain, it has been determined I am able to work. I volunteered for lay off in January of this year. I could not keep up with my job responsibilities and I was always in flare. I tried to work a 32 hour week with Fibro for nearly 2 years. I called in sick a lot, usually weekly and became a very undependable employee. I felt lots of guilt which worsened my Fibro. I worked for this company for over 15 years. They were so understanding of my illness, and in fact did not want to lay me off. I was quite surprised SSD didn't even ask me to see a Dr? I was expecting to have to have an exam. My lawyer said my medical documentation is weak due to the fact that I have only seen 1 MD for Fibro. I attended the Fibro and Fatigue center for 6 months, but this did not help. The Dr. at the Fibro Center was also a Naturopath. I prefer these types of Dr.'s. I feel they help me best personally. I take Tramadol and Klonopin as needed for pain, 5HTP for depression and sleep along with 3mg of melatonin, vit B-12, D-Ribose, vit D3, vit C and Magnesium. I guess I am not surprised I was denied. I've been doing some reading in the forum in this topic and see this happens a lot the 1st round. I am also surprised I heard a decision so quickly. I filed my claim in January. I would appreciate any thoughts any of you have on what I should do next. I am on unemployment now, very grateful. I've been getting lots of rest, and taking good care not working. I feel am ready to try a part time job and see how it goes. I have been looking. I want to appeal to SSD. Is this process worse than the claim? The grueling questionnaire stressed me a lot and I had a flare for several days when I finished. I call my lawyer to see what I should do next. I guess he does not have to file my appeal if he doesn't want to huh? I may have to find another lawyer? *thanks* Thank you for any thoughts you all might have. Best to you ~ Lucyann

Tue May 25, 2010 8:24 pm
FT Hall of Famer

Post Re: Social Security Denied Today
I don't know how much help I can be to you, as I got mine on the first try. I think the reason I got mine was partly because I was almost 50 at the time, both my boss and my doctor wrote letters of support for me, and I went to the doctor's office and went through my chart and wrote down the date and the reason for any time I was seen for fibro or chronic fatigue. By the time I applied, I had been going to the doc about 1 time a month or more because I was on narcotics, so that probably helped too.

I am sorry you were not awarded SSDI, and you are correct, they do usually deny the first time.

:luck

Tue May 25, 2010 9:25 pm
FT Hall of Famer

I am sorry your claim was denied :hug But from what i,ve read on the forums from other members i cant say it was a suprise :shrug

it,s just so sad and frustrating that they just cant except that people with fibro can be so sick as what we have effects every part of our bodies :shrug Not always the same part an not every day some some times it,s a different symptom from hour to hour :diz

But it,s nice to see your thinking of trying for part time work
i wish you all the luck and best wishes with that it soundslike a positive attitude which i,m sure can only be good

i cant offer advice on your appeal as i,m from the UK and we do things different over here but what ever you decide to do i also wish you luck with that :hug

love MO *rows*

NO EXERCISE FOR SEVEN DAYS MAKES ONE WEAK
http://pixamo.simplesite.com Welcome to my personal Blog Mo

Wed May 26, 2010 6:09 am
FT Phenom

Hello again and thank you for your kind replies. I appreciate your thoughts. I will appeal. My husband make a great comment last night when I told him about the denial. He said, this is how they weed people out who really don't need SSDI. If you don't appeal then they know you weren't really serious and don't need it. I agree, with the statistics being so high being denied 1st try it makes sense. I have more knowledge now on what I need to do to prove my case. Thanks again! Lucyann :myday

Wed May 26, 2010 11:59 am
FT Phenom

Most are denied the first time. Don't despair!! My friend's usband has epilepsy and fell off a ladder at work and smashed his face and he still had to apply twice!! But he did get it. Listen to those above and prepare and apply again!!!

Wed May 26, 2010 1:37 pm
FT 500 Club

When I applied for disability I worked with a person who was a former DDU counselor for over 20 years. He said only 15% of persons who apply are successful the first time. They have a list VERY short list of disabilities which are automatically approved. Most of the others are not approved even with a lawyer involved. My lawyer told me to apply for disability the first time without him and then he would submit application for me.

Hope things go well for you.

Wed May 26, 2010 4:47 pm
FT Phenom

Thank you again for the encouragement from all of you who posted. I appreciate your support. I received a vm from my lawyer yesterday which said they were sending a letter of reconsideration and that I would also receive a letter. I am not sure what this means and have to call them back today. This doesn't sound like an appeal? I truly believe people with Fibro deserve these benefits. I worked full time and was hanging by a thread mentally and physically when I volunteered for lay off. I was a huge decision and took me months to find the courage to move on. Thanks again ~ Lucyann :love

Thu May 27, 2010 9:44 am
FT 500 Club

hang in there dear, I'm on my second hearing in July after that I start all over. Hang in there they want to to quit and go to work, Something we can't do.
Granny

Sat May 29, 2010 1:13 am