Job difficulties prior to disability 
Post Job difficulties prior to disability
:shrug This may be the wrong place to post this. But I work in an abusive environment. There are days I come home feeling like I've been severely beaten & can't do anything but sleep.

I have spent the last 2 Saturdays immobile on the couch. I just didn't have the interest or energy to get up & get anything done. I suppose I was depressed after another bad week at work - but I wasn't aware of feeling depressed.

Then I strained my hip & ended up asking my doc to write a note that I have fibro & a strained hip. Her nurse warned me that if an employer knows you have a chronic illness, you can end up losing your job.

Has anyone experienced such a thing? I am healthy enough to work & need to work for as many more years as I can. But this brutal working environment is sapping my strength and making me feel I don't have the strength and energy to go find a new job & impress them with what a hard worker I am. Honestly, I'd like a lo-o-o-ng vacation with some serious time *zzz* sleeping.

I'm not sure what my question is. I just don't know what to expect. Do I sound like I'm approaching the point where I need to go on disability? I'm still thinking I can get ahead of this DD with healthy lifestyle, etc. But I don't think that will ever happen in this mega stress environment.

Love to hear your thoughts. Most of the time I feel ok. Ibuprofen keeps most of my pain bearable. I have only had a couple severe flares & now a strained hip muscle so I have to use a cane for 6 weeks or so. What's going on? :shrug

Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:54 pm
FT Hall of Famer

Post Re: Job difficulties prior to disability
I generally do not believe in telling my employer that I have fibro because it is so misunderstood. I agree that it could end up in you losing your job. I am pretty sure it is the reason that I lost one job as I lost my job just a day or two after mentioning it to my boss. Of course that will never be the official reason that you lose your job as that is illegal, but if they are creative, they can find a way to disguise the real reason they let you go and make it very difficult to prove otherwise.

There are some situations where you may want to let your employer know, but if you are able to hide it fairly well, then it probably isn't the right time. I would not reveal it until I had to in order to get special accommodations.

I would say it is probably better to find a job with a better situation and leave on your own accord. You may not get a job with the same pay or benefits, but a better working situation can make a world of difference. I know it is no fun to be in an abusive work situation- I know I've been there. Of course finding the time and energy to search is another matter, but it sounds like a switch you need to make. I am not particularly happy in my job, but between caring for a very demanding mother (with no help from family) and working full time, I find very little time to search, so for now I am in a holding pattern.

She was not quite what you would call refined.
She was not quite what you would call unrefined.
She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot.

Mark Twain

I thought I was hearing voices...turns out it was just my parrot
:peng

Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:38 am
FT Favourite

Ditto of what Lindabirds said! I did lose my job because of the fibro and I have hired an attorney for a discrimination case. My work environment was horrible too and I was already looking for a new job. I could not take the stress as it was making my condition worse.

I have been unemployed since September 2010 and you are correct, looking for a job is also stressful and takes a lot of energy. Luckily I have unemployment but it is getting ready to run out soon, so I am freaking out!

You need to do what is best for you, and although it will be hard in this job market, it will be worth it to find something less stressful for your health. :luck

Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:28 am
FT First Lady

Yep, telling your employer you are sick is a great way to lose your job. I've met lots of people who have had cfids who made the mistake of telling people at their work and they all promptly lost their jobs and they could work full time.

I also have a brilliant friend who works in HR who said that people often tell her that they are sick and they don't realize that that is the worst thing they could do, it's always held against you unless you work with people who are real friends.

Look around and see if you can find another job if you can.

Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:52 pm
FT Favourite

Correction of my previous post....I lost my job September 2011.

I was diagnosed after I became employed and was missing a lot of work. Unfortunately this employer was not very accommodating when I had doctor appts., physical therapy, etc. I had to tell them about the fibro so they would understand why I was missing so much work. Big mistake! Although it never affected my job performance and I received nothing but praise, I did end up being labeled as the "sick one". Of course, no one understood the condition, nor did they really care.

I ended up needing accommodations and was quickly shot down, and there were some very inappropriate remarks made by the senior partner to me directly (no witnesses). Looking back, I don't believe I will ever do that again.

I'm really on the fence between going back to work and filing for disability. My unemployment will run out in about 6 weeks so I will need to make a decision soon. If I do file for disability my daughter and I will have to move in with my parents and that is a whole set of problems of its own. Very tough decision to make!

Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:06 pm