Denied 
Fibromite

Post Denied
I'm new here and came across this group today. I was diagnosed 2 yrs ago and also have a lot of other health problems. My lawyer and I have been fighting with social security for over a year. I just had my hearing in December. I received my letter today about the decision, which was unfavorable. I feel like just giving up on it all and am not sure what we're supposed to do next. Receptionist at my lawyers office said to give lawyer 2 weeks to decide what she wants to do. I don't know whether to apply all over again or use the last appeal. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. *thanks*

Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:24 pm
FT First Lady

Post Re: Denied
Aw, really sorry you didn't win. But, no, no, do not give up. I did that many years ago and was so sorry I did. I won recently, so you can do it. Since I won, I don't know the exact process weather you reapply or do some sort of appeal. Whatever you are to do, do it. Appeal for sure. Keep going, because as long as you continually appeal or keep the process going, when you do win, they will pay you all the way back to the original date. I didn't do that and lost out on 10 years of payment. But, so grateful to have it now. And medicare fricken rocks baby, keep going. I know it must be crushing. But keep going.

I would call the lawyers office again and find out what the legal process is, maybe ask to speak with one of the paralegals? I found them so helpful, they know all this stuff. You could even call other attorneys and might be able to get advice from other paralegals.

Keep fighting. :thumbsup

Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:31 am
FibroTalk Fan

Sorry you were denied, but do not give up! I am just starting this process with a reputable firm (not sure I can say the name here). What state are you in?

Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:09 pm
FT Phenom

I was denied on my initial application. I thought the next step was a hearing in front of a judge. That might not happen until November 2012. But a few weeks ago, my lawyer called me and told me they are re-reviewing my case. We don't know what that means, but she had me come in to sign the "Compensation Agreement", so to me that feels like she expects to be getting money soon, so I'm taking it as a good sign.

Wed May 02, 2012 10:50 am
FT First Lady

I met a lady the other day who said she was denied the first time around but got the next time around.

Thu May 03, 2012 2:24 am
Fibromite

There are two more steps I believe, you should try to request an appeal's council review.

I found a site that explains how to file an appeals council review:

http://www.socialsecuritydisability.tv/social-security-disability-application-process/appeals-council

Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:47 am
FT Favourite

i am so so sorry. everytime someone posts i feel like i is me personally and get so angry at the system we are so vulnerable and our lives depend on other people who are looking at you with numbers and how they line up. i was fortunate to be be accepted the first time..dont know how that happened. my age may have some thing to do with it. i was 60 when i won my case. i am 6 5 now. my daughter appealed 5 times and finally won her case. it also depends on the state that u live in.
the main thing is not to give up. thats what they want u to do. u need a attorney that FIGHT for you.
dont give up just think of different angles to come from. do u have other conditions,have you worked less and less over the years
have u increased your meds. they look for facts not emotions.i wish you well and keep on trying if you have any questions pls post

Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:26 pm
Site Admin

This is just my opinion, not a professional one.

I feel like these services try to frustrate you into giving up. Why because it's cheaper for them

I fought for many years just for my benifits (work related) to be approved. This will be an ongoing issue, but I'm not giving up yet :)

Educate yourself on your file. Learn to advocate with your team. Keep copies of everything. Remember we're here for you :hug

Respectfully Gauchi

Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:50 am
FT 500 Club

I agree, I think they make it hard so you do give up.
I want to share my story.

I applied for SSD in 2007 because of fibromyalgia, I was denied, I appealed with help from a lawyer, had a hearing, denied, appealed again, finally in 2010 I was approved and started receiving a SSD check. It was a long hard fight. I can't even explain the feelings I had throughout the process. It was terrible. In the mean time we used credit cards to pay bills.

In January 2013 I received a letter stating that they were reviewing my case to see if I still qualified for the benefits or if they made a mistake giving me the benefits. So, I'm thinking will I have to pay back what I received if they find that I didn't qualify. More of the feelings came back.

So I had to fill out 5 or 6 pages of answering questions, I needed 1 person to also fill out the same questionair about me. I mailed them. I then received a letter that they had made an doctor appointment for me, I needed to attend.

The doctor was a psychologist, he had to access me to see if I had depression with anxiety, insomina, PTSD. NOT FIBROMYAGIA!

I went to the appointment, he asked me a crap load of stupid questions that I answered. I brought up fibromyagia pain a few times, he never said the word. It was pure hell again for 3 months not knowing what the turn out would be. I truly thought I would have to go back to work!

I was approved to continue the benefit. Thank goodness.
I wanted to share this because I didn't qualify because I have fibromyalgia, I qualified because I am depressed with anxiety, PTSD and a couple other mental disorders.

I don't know if it is because of my state I live in, the person that reviewed my case, or because fibromyalgia alone is not a qualification for dissablity.

If you are thinking about applying, or are in the middle of the battle don't give up. Just know it might be a long, hard fight. I do know a couple people that have applied and were accepted by just doing that. A friend of mine hasn't been diagnosised with fibromyalgia, that she definitly has, she received it right away. That makes me think it depends upon the person your case is given to.

The best way to have the last word is to apologize.

"It is what it is" I rather think "It is what you make it"

Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:08 am