denied in Ontario, Canada 
FibroTalk Fan

Post denied in Ontario, Canada
When I was no longer able to work at my call center job, my lawyer began the process to get my spousal support raised. Throughout the process, I had to convince my xhusband and his lawyer that I had major health issues that preventing me from being employed.

I have fibromyalgia, cfs, diabetes, depression and high blood pressure.

We had a hearing and the judge recommended I apply for cpp.

I had my physical with my brand new gp......she just graduated last July.......filled out all the paperwork.....submitted it.......and received word today that I was denied. Apparently my condition is not severe enough or prolonged. :(

So, I guess it is off to the doctor's again...for xrays to show I have arthritis in my knees and shoulders.....and speak to my chiropractor for additional medical support.

I know it is common to be denied the first time. The letter said I have 90 days to appeal. I feel so......disheartened. After my husband and I reached a settlement I felt finally I didn't have to dwell on what I could no longer do...or how terrible I felt at times.

Now it begins all over again.......I find the focus on trying to prove I am 'not well' only makes me feel worse........

Does anyone have any suggestions? I am so down at the moment *soft tears*

Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:16 pm
FT First Lady

Post Re: denied in Ontario, Canada
I'm not Canadian, so I'm not familiar with the law there.

In most countries if you have something like fibro or CFS (I believe it's called ME in Canada) you will be denied at first when applying for disability in most cases. Usually you will continue to appeal until you get to see a judge (in the US) or a tribunal (in the UK). It is usually after you actually go to that kind of court will you win your case. It is the norm, so don't feel bad or that it is personal.

You are super lucky that health care is taken care of so at least you don't have that expense through this process. Be persistent, do everything you need to do for your case, hang in there and fully expect to be denied a few times before you reach the end stage where you see a judge. That is where most people with fibro and CFS win. And so great you have a lawyer who is helping you from the get go, that will help you enormously too. And it is good for your case that you also have high blood pressure, diabetes and depression, each thing added in helps you case. Not sure about your age and what the rules are in Canada, but in the US it is much easier to get disability if you are 55 or older.

If your doc is behind you and you have a good lawyer, you are in a really great position. Just hang in there, you will win eventually. Just takes some time. It's such a draining process. So hard. And you are right, it is so depressing to have to write down just how sick you are and deal with the realities of your losses. I went through the process in America just about 2 years ago. It was hard. But, I won in the end and it has been the best thing that has ever happened to me.

thinking of you,
:console

Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:09 am
FibroTalk Fan

Thanks LM...I don't have a lawyer yet, but I am looking for one. I am 53...54 in November.

It is pretty awful to have to prove you are not well. I will keep you posted but thank you for the encouragement. One step at a time, I guess :)

Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:25 am
FT First Lady

Yes, I do know what you mean, having to prove you are not sick especially when you are so sick and just doing all this wears you out and yet, there is practically no physical proof yet, so it's all based on your doctors words.

Keep at it though. I had a friend from Canada and her mom had CFS and she got disability payments, not sure if it was gov or private or what, she worked as a professor.

I remember how stressful the process was and how it brought up alot of feelings of loss and sadness that I thought I was past. So, at least you can know that others who have been in your shoes can relate.

Keep at it. Do you have any local support groups or other internet sites to get more info? Or is there a Canadian CFS or fibro group that has disability info? I ask because the CFIDS association of America has a absolutely wonderful book type downloadable thing with advice on applying for federal disability. There might be some links up somewhere of lawyers who give advice on the subject too.

Hang in there babes. And make sure to do the forms and such in little segments so you don't get too overwhelmed. I found I had to work on my case 15 mins at a time, then quit for the day.

:console

Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:16 am
FT First Lady

:wave
I totally agree with you, going through the process is so stressful. Not only are u sick but u have to try to convince others that u r.

I am s/s that u find yourself in this situation. little mouse put hit it right on the head. Sometimes it takes several tries, please don't get discourage, I honestly think that is what they hope happens that we feel helpless & just give up.

The best think I can advise you is to make sure that your drs. document everything. Meds, because with certain meds u r not allowed to drive because it's considered driving under the influence.

This also impairs our memories, I have had friends that have gone to a drs appointment just to realize once they r there that they went to the wrong dr. So that also effects our ability to work.

So make sure that your dr. documents EVERYTHING, once he has documented, document some more.

I have a very hard time understanding why they make us jump through so many hoops.

In my situation I made much more working several afternoons than I get on disability 4 the entire month. Why would anyone go into dept, ruin their credit, and sometimes even lose every thing they have worked so hard 4. :bang

Please hang in there, I know it's easier said than done but in reality if you don't keep trying you won't be any worse off than u r now, so u might as well just fight the system.

Good luck & TCOYS
WUAR&LPD
BOO

Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:13 pm
FT 500 Club

I wish that I could give you the advise you need, but I'm down here in the US and going through the same kinds of stuff with trying to win my own disability. I've been sick for my entire life, have only been out of work for less than 3 years.

I've been working towards winning my disability for just over a year. I contacted a group of lawyers that specialize in disability cases. We have gone through just about every step of the process leading up to a hearing.

First Application - denied :(
Reconsideration - denied :cry
Appeal - denied :ranting
Hearing - hasn't happened yet. Scheduled for July 17th. :pray

If I hadn't been working with the lawyers, I probably would have given up before now, but I desperately need to win my disability. I know that it is possible to win, but it can be such a long road.

I wish you luck on winning your case soon. :luck

Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:01 pm
FibroTalk Fan

Thank you ladies...I really appreciate the words of encouragement and support. *rows*

Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:10 am