over payment notice 
FT First Lady

Post over payment notice
Just got some over payment notice today. But, the notice makes no sense to me, the figures don't add up and I have no idea when I was supposedly paid this figure.

I've pulled out boxes and boxes of files and still can't understand where they are getting these figures.

I'm feeling very flattened by all this. It's not the end of the world, but it scares me. If they did somehow overpay me, it certainly wasn't my fault, I didn't ask for anything I wasn't due, I never hid anything.

Anyone else have these problems?

Last edited by Little Mouse on Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:05 am
FT First Lady

Post Re: over payment notice
So, I talked to a nice man at the social security office. He helped me with a few questions.

He also said he had never seen a letter like the one I had been sent, that he had never seen them go back that far and that they didn't even have access to my records back then on the computers.

It might be that even though I recieved state and fed help at separate times, they might have paid me for the same time period, so I could owe them the money from 15 years ago.

I certainly don't want to get in trouble with the disability dept, I will do what they say. And don't have complete and thorough records from that time because I could barely read, stand or comprehend things well back then. And I had no help. And i certainly don't remember all the details of every move I made or notice I received.

Oh well. Was just wondering if anyone had any advice. At least the guy I talked to was as helpful as he could be and was nice. :thumbsup I'm so thankful for any help they can give me but this really makes me worried about my future. Oh well, nothing to do about that, can't make myself well. One day at a time as they say. :thumbsup

Last edited by Little Mouse on Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:07 pm
FT Favourite

Post please delete
please delete

Last edited by Lady Gardner on Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:38 pm
FT First Lady

Thanks LG!

I've been pulling out boxes and going over old paperwork and printouts. I still need them to send me a detailed payment history and hopefully talk to someone just so I know exactly what they are referring to.

It's all so strange, especially since the SS guy said he had never seen them send out a notice like this. But, it is from them for sure. And like I said, if I do have to pay, i will pay. I am thankful to get help at all, especially the medicare coverage. It's just so strange. A lawyer told me I was underpaid back then. But the lawyer wouldn't help me for such a small amount of $. Too bad I didn't have a little help, but ce la vie, really. I'm glad I won the case this time around and i found my nice doctor so like everything in life, good things and bad things with many situations.

For me, the not being able to work, is so much harder than the physical illness. The fact of not being able to support myself is just the worst. I had been supporting myself since I was so young, so to lose that is just awful and leaves me feeling so vulnerable. The poor aspect and how people treat me is the worst part of being sick to me, I can deal with torturous physical problems, as it isn't personal, it's just the disease doing it's thing, but the vulnerableness of being poor and being abandoned due to illness and poverty is what's hard for me.

Last edited by Little Mouse on Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:15 pm
FT 500 Club

Little Mouse wrote:
For me, the not being able to work, is so much harder than the physical illness. The fact of not being able to support myself is just the worst. I had been supporting myself since I was so young, so to lose that is just awful and leaves me feeling so vulnerable. The poor aspect and how people treat me is the worst part of being sick to me, I can deal with torturous physical problems, as it isn't personal, it's just the disease doing it's thing, but the vulnerableness of being poor and being abandoned due to illness and poverty is what's hard for me.

:ya is exactly how I've been feeling. It isn't even the being poor, I've faced that my whole life, it is the being abandoned that hurts SO MUCH. Fortunately, I've had my mom by my side through all of this. Even when she had doubts about the severity of the diseases, she didn't leave me homeless and penniless.

I hope that you get this all figured out and you get the money owed to you. :luck Let us know how it goes.

Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:24 am
FT First Lady

:console Kjoy. yep.

Thanks, yes, I let you know how it goes. I know I'll be ok for now, even if I do have to pay that money, just worries me about the future and reminds me of that horrific time in my life after i got so sick and I found out that even my close close friends really had no use for me sick. People were so mean. Hate to remember all that.

Thanks again. :console

Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:06 am
Fibromite

There are multiple reasons you could have received the overpayment notice like:

returning to work
changes in your living situation
improvements in your disability
increased income
clerical error on part of the SSA

This article explains more: http://www.socialsecuritydisability.tv/ ... verpayment

Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:57 pm
FT First Lady

Yeah, it wasn't any of those things. It was from something 15 years ago when I was didn't know better and didn't get a lawyer. They actually owed me $5000 from back then and paid me $1000 which they tried to take back now. Lawyers have told me that they do indeed owe my $5000 from back then but no lawyer will represent me for such a small amount. Never ever ever ever do anything ever without a lawyer, ever. Seriously. When I was young, I didn't get lawyers, now, everything is handled by lawyers and it's so much better.

Well, I am one of the lucky ones, I am ok for now and I am so grateful for the help they give me as it is. I think some mistake was made back 15 years ago and since I didn't have a lawyer to represent me, it never got corrected. Thanks for all the help on this topic guys. :wave

Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:52 pm