Fibromyalgia Awareness Letter 
FT Favourite

Post Fibromyalgia Awareness Letter
Ok all, I'm not going to bore you with more of my pep talks. lmao I'll just post the letter.

Love and hugs to all,
Belle
Date

Senator
Address
Address

Re: Fibromyalgia

Dear Senator ______,

I am writing to you today in regards to a confusing and debilitating illness, Fibromyalgia. This illness affects almost 3.5 million people in the United States alone or approximately two percent of the US population. Yet it is one of the most misunderstood syndromes.

The American College of Rheumatology lists Fibromyalgia as an arthritis-related condition characterized by generalized muscle pain and fatigue. In addition to the muscle pain and fatigue, as with most chronic illnesses there are a plethora of associated conditions as well to contend with.

The people who suffer from this illness spend many years before they can even get a diagnosis. Fibromyalgia has been around since the 1700’s and has been called many different names. It was finally recognized as Fibromyalgia in the 1990’s. Due to the confusion surrounding Fibromyalgia many people go from doctor to doctor before finally finding one who can make the proper diagnosis. Even after receiving the diagnosis, these people still suffer from symptoms that are so widely ranging that even doctors are baffled.

So why am I writing to you? Simply put, we need your help. We need you to get involved. There are 2 main issues that need addressed. First is the failure to recognize Fibromyalgia by the general medical community. The CDC has stated that Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is a public epidemic. Their statement should have more fully included Fibromyalgia. You will find the two illnesses tend to go hand in hand.

The medical community needs to follow the lead of the American College of Rheumatology. The ACR is continuing to educate not only the Rheumatologists but the general population as well regarding Fibromyalgia. However the education isn’t enough. We need people like you Senator ____ to join with us.

What affect does all this confusion within the medical community have on those with Fibromyalgia? Instead of telling you, let me create a picture for you.

Imagine hurting so badly it’s almost unbearable! You have spent years suffering as doctor after doctor informed you there wasn’t anything wrong with you. Then if that wasn’t bad enough you were referred to psychiatric treatment. Nothing says “the doctor thinks you’re crazy” than a psychiatric referral.

Meanwhile your suffering continues to increase day by day, growing until you become unable to work. Missed days at work, unproductively from severe pain while you are there, and doctor appointments after doctor appointments mean the end of your job. Now you have no income, no way to pay the bills!

Sound scary? Sound familiar? You bet it is! Yet it is an all too familiar situation for Fibromyalgia patients. The most disturbing part of Fibromyalgia is the fact that severe depression can and does most of the time present itself. The depression is a result of trying to deal with the doctors, suffering from severe pain and having family and friends that don’t understand. Now ask yourself Senator ________, how would you feel if this was a member of your family?

Add to the depression the isolation that comes with being told “there’s nothing wrong with you” and you start feeling like maybe you actually are crazy even though you know the pain in REAL. Is it any wonder the number one cause of death for Fibromyalgia is suicide?

The other major problem facing people who suffer from Fibromyalgia is the lack of proper medications. There isn’t ONE medication out there that was created for the treatment of Fibromyalgia. We are given medication after medication to “try” and see if it helps. The medications usually prescribed also do not have generic brands. This leads to having to spend hundreds of dollars a month trying meds to see if they work. Does this sound logical for the 21st century?

Does this grab your heart? Do you have Fibromyalgia? Do you know someone who does? If you do or if this just strikes a cord in you? PLEASE LEND US YOUR VOICE. The only way to make a difference for people who suffer from Fibromyalgia is RESEARCH AND PUBLIC EDUCATION!

Through Public Education we can increase the understanding of Fibromyalgia in our society. We can reach a goal of never hearing, “Fibromyalgia, what is that”. Only through RESEARCH can scientists and doctors find the answers and the medications we need. We CAN NOT do it alone!

What better time to get involved than Fibromyalgia Awareness Day? This is our day to tell the world about our illness. This is our day to bring about change. May 12th is Fibromyalgia Awareness Day Senator and we would like to be able to count on YOU!!!!!

I’m asking for your help Senator _______. You can make a difference in someone’s life. You can stand up and say, I was a part of this great change! Be part of the solution not part of the problem Senator __________. Your voting public is calling on you! Will you answer their call?

Let’s discuss this and get the ball rolling. Let’s make change happen! Let’s take a stand for those who can not!

Sincerely,

Your name

Check me out at: http://www.myspace.com/sthrnbelle1201 or on facebook, I'm Kelly Batton Cozzone

Last edited by Belle on Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:01 pm
FT First Lady

Thanks for your template letter. I have been getting the word out whereever I can and I will get a letter out like you posted. It is wonderful you are doing this. When I am in better condition, I too, will get the ball rolling. But for now I will start with the template you posted. Happy and Healthy 2007 to you and yours.

Peace and Healing,
Erica

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we our curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths"
- Walt Disney

Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:29 pm
FT First Lady

Thank you so much I think this will help alot of us that might not have had a clue where to start to write a letter to our government officials! I know I fit in this category! I really appreciate all the work you put into all of this! Thank you again! Take care and it looks just great!~~~~~~~~~junebug!

~~~Some other places I like to hangout~~~
http://www.myspace.com/junebugh8fms
http://www.junebugh8fms.spaces.live.com
http://www.cafemom.com/home/junebugh8fms
http://www.youtube.com/junebugh8fms

Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:55 am
FT Favourite

Here is the new updated letter you all asked for with the inclusion of Fibromyalgia Awareness Day.

Hope it helps.

Love to all,
Belle

Check me out at: http://www.myspace.com/sthrnbelle1201 or on facebook, I'm Kelly Batton Cozzone

Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:41 pm