Lyrica alone, much less../Aetna $50 max/per mo coverage 
FT Friend

Post Lyrica alone, much less../Aetna $50 max/per mo coverage
Oh fun fun times. So I called my pain management doctor yesterday as the Savella & Lyrica were not cutting it alone as to moods. I was a weepy mess, and have always had issues with depression/anxiety. I had been on Cymalta and Lyrica. So she added Lexapro. I took that and my Lyrica prescription to CVS Pharmacy and went back today with our new Aetna coverage to pay. I did see it paid a total of $50 per month maximum for prescription drugs, but come on.. how much could drugs be. (I had Blue Cross/Blue Shield before which was good coverage)

It was almost $200 I think without insurance for the Lexapro and almost $300 for the Lyrica and that was to refill my old prescription at my previous dosage (had forgotten to ask doc for new script for new dosage). I had to beg $20 for gas money today from my father who was visiting (awkward) strictly for errands, and you know how far $20 goes these days for gas!

I left the pharmacy in tears. Called pain mgmt doc and she is going to take me off of Savella (no way I will be able to afford that), not start me on Lexapro, put me back on Cymbalta (I still have two weeks worth and she has samples) at a higher dose, and keep me on Lyrica as it is the one steadfast that really, really makes a difference both for sleep and daily functioning by keeping pain level fairly manageable.

Bottom line. Too bad, so sad, still can't fill the Lyrica prescription. So.... what are withdrawals like from four 75 mg a day to zero real quick?

To top it off with, I lost the Lortab prescription she gave me that I filled two weeks ago that was well over 3/4ths full still. Cannot find it ANYWHERE. Afraid to ask my boss if he has seen any of my prescriptions at work, as if he asked, or found it, he may take offense to (even though) prescription narcotics while working, even if needed. So not only do I not have the Lyrica, haven't had any today, but I don't have pain medicine.

What would you do? Should I call the pain management doctor and ask for a cheap narcotic pain pill to get by till I can afford to pick up Lyrica? But if I do that, I am so afraid I will look like the pain pill "junkie" I am so paranoid of ever being and that the doctor will be more reticent to treat me in the future. Maybe this fear is thanks to living with a husband and having parents that give the stigma to pain medication as being a "junkie" only medicine.

Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:06 pm
FT Friend

Post Re: Lyrica alone, much less../Aetna $50 max/per mo coverage
My fear is not only the pain and lack of sleep, but I am not a pleasant person when in pain or with lack of sleep. I become very irritable and short tempered. Just snap a lot at my son if he doesn't hurry up or if he is being too loud or who knows what. I feel like a terrible Mommy when I am hurting because I have zero tolerance in my head for anything and the pain consumes me.

That is what scares me. Because I hate being that person.

Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:10 pm
FT Phenom

Sweetie I would tell you to try to get on the PPArx.org website and put in Lyrica, and all the other meds you are on, and fill out ALL of the paperwork to get your meds for free or at a discount price. If your income is still kind of low, with three people the astra zenica (spelling?) is 50,000 a year cap off. With you having insurance if your income is low enough there is a specific paper you can send in to show hardship and they will still give you the meds. (Usually lower income but also how many meds you have shows need)

As far as feeling like a bad mom for being snappy. You are not alone. Usually I am the one that plays the most with my son. But since my Fibro went full blown flares constantly, I have become this snappy, short tempered, person that I don't even know where it comes from. If I have time to breath I could possibly stop it but if it is a split second decisions that I seem to just snap. I have learned to keep my mouth shut a bit more and bite my tounge literally some times just to keep from spouting off. I feel like the anger comes from the middle of my stomach and just comes out roaring. I don't even know where that person comes from but some how that is what and whom I have become. Not all the times but expecially during med changes or lack of meds. I really feel your pain. I have been there on all accounts. My prayers will stay with you. Maybe as you figure it out I will too.

Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:39 pm
FT Friend

My gosh. I should have mentioned the snappy short tempered part earlier. What guilt I have been carrying around for getting that way when in pain.

Any advice on withdrawals or how to lesson them, as it will be I would think a week at least before I can come up with that kind of money?

Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:20 pm
FT Best Man

Call your Doctor ASAP, explain the situation and ask for samples of Lyrica, you have to wean off it !!!! You never just stop taking it!

Being Irish, I have an abiding sense of tragedy which sustains me through temporary periods of joy.
W.B. Yeats

My Facebook

Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:08 pm
FT Friend

Left in tears from CVS again. Doc gave me that $25 a month for 12 months prescription drug help from Pfizer so I could keep taking Lyrica. How nice of Pfizer. So I make it to CVS (still a good fifteen minutes away, on almost an empty tank of gas), give them the card, and with my Aetna and the card, they want $93 still for the Lyrica. There is plenty of fine print (why was I suprised?). It works with having insurance, that is not the problem, but the big bold letters that said "Pay only $25 a month for 12 months for your Lyrica prescription" that was the front of the Pfizer drug card booklet was not the part to pay attention to.

For good news, I found my Lortab, so at least I can keep the pain down if I keep taking it regularly though it won't help the withdrawals.

Funny how I didn't realize just how bad the nerve pain in my damaged shoulder was till I had been off the Lyrica now for a day. (They think the bursitis I have had for months turned into torn ligaments, but I can only pick one MRI to have with my Aetna capping out at $1,000 a year for diagnostics) so opting for my lower back MRI and nixxing the shoulder MRI).

Does anyone else think the health care system is really screwed up?

I will look into Lyrica assistance, but I know from previous years back of using those programs it takes a lot of paperwork and a lot of time to even get the ball rolling.

Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:06 pm
Ask your Doctor or his nurse if they have that program at their office.

I always got those programs straight from my doctor's office. Lot's less hassle. If they don't call your local health dept and social services see if either of them run those programs. Some states do.

Bonnie

Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:39 pm