Can Tramadol affect your mood? 
FT Friend

Post Can Tramadol affect your mood?
I've tried Tramadol last summer and noticed some strange and sudden mood changes. Usually my mood is very balanced because I'm on anxiety meds (Effexor). I got very weepy and depressed without any good reason (I know, fibro is a good reason :dizzy , but it was more than that).

Lately, my GP has been at the end of his rope with what to do with my pain, so we decided to give Tramadol another chance. I started a week ago, and the last couple of days I've been really weepy and end-of-the-world kind of sad.

Has anyone else had mood changes as a side effect in Tramadol? And if yes, does it go away after a while?

Sir Winston Churchill

Mon May 17, 2010 11:29 pm
FT Hall of Famer

Post Re: Can Tramadol affect your mood?
cc, effexor is one of the drugs that is called a SNRI, which is a reuptake inhibitor of seritonin and norepinephrine. this drug also releases dopamine as well.

i just read an article on this the other day, and i did not like what i saw. i didn't mark it and can't find it but they claim this is a very hard drug to have to withdraw from. some ppl have been known to have to stay on it the rest of their lives. withdrawl from this drug has been known to be very hard for a good many ppl.

that being said, you asked about tramadol. if you take the above medicine, and are sensitive to drugs, the tramadol could cause you to have a seritonin syndrome withdrawal. that can be fairly bad for you.

if i were you i would talk to my doc, and if you don't get the answers you want from him, get on the intrernet. there are very many articles on there from ppl who took this drug with tramadol, and just took the drug by itself, and these ppl have many bad things to say about it. quite frankly i shocked me to read about it.

i am glad you posted it my friend, my doc had suggested it to me. well, thanks but no thanks. no way in hail am i going to mess with that drug after reading what i read on the internet about it.

good luck hun, :luck :luck :luck and let us know how you do. meantime i will be sending positive thoughts and healing your way.

love ya'll

pax
leit
ImageImageImage
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
may your moccasins find the easy path;
may you ever walk in peace

AS IS-WHERE WUZ

Tue May 18, 2010 2:36 am
FT 500 Club

YES!!!! In my recent post on Tramadol I talk about how my anxiety went through the roof with a super tiny dose. I am really sensitive to it.

Tue May 18, 2010 10:13 am
FT Friend

Hi Chocolate Ice Cream, I love your name. It's one of my favorite foods!

I live by a rule of thumb that anything that's manufactured to mess with the chemicals in the brain is suspect for adverse effects on mood and personality. Even supplements like Sam-e and 5-htp.

I guess this depends on whether it works for the pain enough to be worth waiting it out. I've had bad affects from meds that went away in time, but were replaced with even worse ones later. I can't say much about Tramadol, as I never had a problem with it. :shrug

:luck

Wed May 19, 2010 3:17 pm
FT Phenom

Kids-like my 9yr old daughter who has major anxiety- are given antidepressants for anxiety- as anxiety is the precurser for depression in children (as I was told by her psychiatrist) due to the different chemical balances in kids brains. My daughter takes celexa (ssri) and it controls her anxiety wonderfully.

A note on the Effexor- I take Cymbalta , also a SNRI, I know if I try to stop it will be hell as I get the brain zaps after about 6 hours if I miss the dose.

With that said.....it has changed my life as far as depression....so even though I hate the thought of being on it due to how hard it could be to get off it....why would I stop something that has halted the cycling depression I had suffered since my early teens!!!

What works for one doesn't for another...tramadol just may not be the right drug for you!! It is hard I know- you just want to feel better!!!

Fri May 21, 2010 1:44 pm