fibro better in a dry climate? 
Fibromite

Post fibro better in a dry climate?
I was wondering how Fibro is in a dry climate like the Southwest? My husband wants to move out there so badly. We now live in NW Indiana right under Lake Michigan. It is humid here alot and so much snow in the winter and I have a tough time with the fibromyalgia and arthritis. Any feedback? Any one moved there and done better? Or if you live there now and feel better, let me know! Thks!

Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:16 am
FT Favourite

Post Re: fibro better in a dry climate?
I live in a place with dry heat but not endured it with fibro yet. I would assume it not be good as the air burns as it's so dry and hot. I don't think dry heat is better over humid heat. It's as bad as each other. Could u holiday there and see how you feel?

If you would like prayer, you are most welcome to PM me.
No need to put why (God knows your needs) unless you want
me to pray for specific need/s.

Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:48 am
Fibromite

hi mreni,
Yes we definitely will travel there for a trial run, I never thought the dry heat would be as bad, but maybe it is, I will try to talk him out of move there. thks!!

Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:37 pm
FT 500 Club

Winters were extremely painful for me up north - not to mention exhausting. We moved down south and are doing much better. It's not dry but the warmth is REALLY helping the FM and the sun is nice too. However...it's really depressing when it's too hot to go outside. It was OK when it was cold and not snowing....I could still leave as long as it wasn't too cold but sometimes it's worse being stuck inside because the heat makes my skin really itch. Just a thought. :)

Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:57 pm
I have lived all over the USA over the years. Humidity is a killer winter or summer.

I found Arizona made me feel much healthier. When I lived there it was in Bullhead City right on the Nevada border. Also this was before I knew I had FM.

To be truthful I have found living below the snowline on the eastern side of the missippi in or near high altitude (mountains) helps me most of the time. Weather still can make me crappy.

I find my fm is tolerable where I'm at right now. But I don't like it here loll Doctor's aren't helpful to me here and public transportation sucks.

You can check out areas that interest you on the internet; just pick a town and access the local chamber of commerce (ex: Baltimore, MD chamber of commerce)

I find weather that doesn't drop below 40 degrees and winters of 3 months or less leave me smiling most of the time.

Also look at local newspapers for jobs, crime rate, etc. Another thing I've done = when I found a town that grabs my curiosity; I go on you tube and see if there are any videos of the area. ex Mt Airy, Md
Bonnie

Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:55 pm
HI :wave ,
I AM TOTALLY WITH BARBARA......(IN EVERY WEATHER WAY) ....& PRESSURE SYSTEMS GOING 'DOWN' WITH RAIN OR STORMS COMING :hair :hair..

HUMID WEATHER IS A KILLER...FOR US WITH FM & OR ARTHRITIS!!!!!

I HAVE LIVED IN A PLACE WITH NO HUMID WEATHER , ( MANY MOONS AGO,..BUT STILL HAD FMS..)......BUT I WAS ''MUCH'''' BETTER!!!!!

SADLY WE CAN'T HAVE IT '''ALL WAYS'''....YOU HAVE TO PUT UP WITH THE DRY HOT SUMMERS.....(STAY INDOORS & DO OTHER THINGS..)

I BELIEVE 'HAWAII' IS THE VERY BEST PLACE TO LIVE......THE WEATHER THERE IS QUITE CONSTANT WITH NO HUMIDITY AT ALL, THEVSAME ALL YEAR ROUND.....UMMMMMM :) :bask
LUV SPARKIE XXX COME ON 'LOTO'

Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:51 pm
FibroTalk Fan

Hi,
I also like the warm dry climate, over a humid climate. I seem to have less pain.

I am heading out to the high desert this weekend, can't wait!
Jon

Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:49 am
FT First Lady

Hmm, I live on the Oregon Coast - humid with temps not real high or real low - fairly frequent barometric changes.

I have a 96 year old mother living in Tucson and visit every 2-3 months. Sometimes I feel better - sometimes I feel worse when I visit.

I have a brother in San Diego - he lives a bit inland - too hot and too cold for me.

For me, I find that every year my temperature comfort range narrows. High temps (over 80 is high for me) and low temps (under 40 is low for me) are miserable.

Also, San Diego close to the ocean has a climate that has the fewest changes in barometric pressure. For me, it is the change in pressure more than whether the pressure is high or low that causes the problems. At one time I was ready to move to San Diego but I can't afford living close to the ocean and I can''t handle the heat during the summer when I go inland.

In other words, as usual with us, we all react differently! I just don't think there is a perfect place for those of us with fibro.

Kendall

Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:31 am
FT Phenom

I live in Missouri so we get ALL the weather. I have found that cold and damp are the worst, but barometric swings also upset the old body. I have often thought of moving to West Texas, but I have too good a job here, and I have too many family obligations here.

Good luck finding what works for you.

Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:28 pm
loll loll BARBARA. loll loll
NO HARM IN TRYING TO CONVINCE DH I '''NEED TO LIVE IN HAWII'''
WAS WORTH A SHOT!!! loll ;)

I THINK ARIZONA IS VERY DRY..CLIMATE WISE,...WITH HARDLY ANY AT ALL HUMIDITY...& NO AWFUL SNOW IN WINTER MONTHS EITHER....

A LOT OF PEOPLE MOVE THERE FOR JUST THIS REASON WHO HAVE FMS......JMO..
LUV SPARKIE

Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:49 pm
FibroTalk Fan

Arizona used to be like that, hot, dry and free from allergies, then everyone moved there, planted stuff, and started watering! Now it gets quite humid, especially in August.

Well I am out in the high desert, but it just raid, so it is 70% humidity! I thought, the reason I feel good in the desert, I am usually relaxing on retreat! This nullifies the whole experiment for me, as I have long naps and relax... :bask

Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:09 pm
FT 500 Club

My sister lived in Arizona for about 10 years and moved back to the mountains of NC. Her big beef with it is that half the state catches on fire almost every summer and the smoke causes some pretty bad air quality. So in addition to the incredible heat that keeps you inside, there's also the poor air quality. So it seems every place has a down side. Personally, the heat, dry or humid, just sucks the life out of me. I find easier to warm up than to cool off. Of course this could have something to do with perimenopause too. LOL.

Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:22 pm
:) I am usually relaxing on retreat! This nullifies the whole experiment for me, as I have long naps and relax...

WELL JON THAT'S HALF THE BATTLE SORTED OUT! *zzz* :bask ,& A GOOD 'KEY' TO FEELING A LITTLE BETTER....'RELAXATION '& AS I SAY,...BABY STEPS, BABY STEPS ...EASY DOES IT...

THERE IS NO CURE, (AS YET) FOR FIBROMYALGIA....WE ALL HAVE TO FIND OUR 'OWN WAYS' TO HANDLE THIS MONSTER.....BUT YOU HAVE FOUND OUT NOW THAT RELAXING ON RETREAT HELPS A LOT,....THAT'S GREAT...(SO MAKE SURE YOU FIND TIME 'EVERY ' DAY FOR THIS).......ONE LESSON LEARNT...WELL DONE..
SPARKIE :hug

Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:41 pm
FibroTalk Fan

Well, it is a lot easier to relax when you are on reterat, then with the day to day hustle bussle, but I will try to apply what I have learned... *zzz*

Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:47 pm